Friday, May 4, 2007

Indeed it is.


Oooo, first post.

It's not exactly a snowball's chance in hell. After all, Savannah isn't even close to hell, it's one of the most lovely places on Earth, but it is extremely hot, especially if you're born a northerner like me. I've lived in various parts of the south for ten years now, and this is the farthest south I've ever hung my hat. It's also the most rural experience I've ever had.

I just finished a move to South Effingham County, Georgia. For those who have no idea where this is, it's just north and west of Savannah, GA, home to Paula Deen, and where the book "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" takes place.

Right now we have wildfires burning to our south-west, in Ware County. We're not in danger from the fires up here, but the wind shifted, and our little slice of heaven is now covered with smoke. Every time I went outside, I kept coming in smelling like barbecue.

The house is nice, the people are nice, and I'm working on my southern accent. It's surprisingly easy to fall into it, especially since my new subdivision is in such a rural area. So rural in fact, that on Monday, I had a buzzard land in my front yard, and on Tuesday evening, a couple of folks were riding horses through the less developed parts of our subdivision.

But I do love this area. I love watching shrimp boats come back in the evenings, I love the breeze stir palmetto trees, and I love the food. She Crab Soup rocks, and if you've never had it, you don't know what you're missing. the other great thing about Savannah is SCAD, the Savannah College of Art and Design. There are so many talented young people here in this town, it just makes my heart sing. There is always something going on here.

We're going to the Arts Festival down on River Street this weekend. The temptation to buy things will be great. I may have to just settle for some post cards. And some She Crab soup.

No comments: