Friday, September 14, 2007

Friday Five

I don't know if y'all noticed or not, but I'm just a couple of posts away from 100. I'm not sure really what that means for me. Am I supposed to celebrate? Dance the night away? Or just explode? Hmmmm. I'll let you know when it happens.



Today's Friday Five is...


Five Things I'm Embarrassed to Admit I Like


1. Rick Astley

Yeah, I said it. Anyone who knows me, or has looked at my profile will realize that Rick Astley doesn't exactly fit in the with the Ramones. Cue that Sesame Street song "One of These Things is Not Like the Other". But I was in love with him when I was 13, and the song "Never Gonna Give You Up" still makes me smile. And he was cute, damn it. The music was insipid, but he was cute.









2. Mayonnaise

One of my very first posts on this blog was about the glories of mayo, but not just any mayo. Dukes Mayonnaise. A product of the south, and the best mayonnaise ever made. Most people look at you just a little funny when you say you like the stuff. I had a friend who once told me mayonnaise was nothing more than "sandwich lube". Maybe, but I actually just like it spread on a piece of whole wheat bread. Granted, it's better when you add a fresh tomato, but I like it on it's own too.



In order to finish this list, I may have to continue writing under the desk, just from the shame of it all. Okay....



3. Ghost Hunters

This is an American show, so I'm sorry if my UK/UK transplant friends don't know about it. Of course, it's so obscure and silly, many Americans probably don't know about it either. It's a "reality" show on Sci-Fi channel that follows around a paranormal investigation group from New England. Really, I don't watch it for the alleged investigations they do. I watch it for the interaction of these bizarre people. It's like candy. I can't get enough. I love watching Grant and Jason get fired up over hearing a bump in the dark. There's lots of head swivelling, and "Did you hear that"s going on. It's silly. But I like it.



4. The Daily Mail

This one my UK friends will know. I read the Daily Mail online. I read classical Latin. My major in college was anthropology/archaeology. My minors were history and comparative religion. I am an educated person. But I read the Daily Mail every day. It has the most deliciously tawdry articles about who's too skinny, who's too fat, which woman lost six stone in an effort to get a sex change operation. It's absolutely amazing the number of bizarre stories they can feature. And I read it, because it makes me feel better about my wonderfully normal life. I do admit, I don't read the Posh and Becks stories, though.



5. Pink

The colour, not the singer. I'm not a girly-girl. I never have been. I had a lot of pink when I was little, but it never really seemed like me. So I rebelled. I still wear mostly black. My favorite pair of shoes are Converse high tops with flames painted on the sides. But, I have a secret. Half of my underwear is pink. And I have a pink cell phone. And even though I cringed when people bought pink clothes for my daughter as an infant, I joyfully painted pink flowers on her bedroom walls when we moved into this house.






Whew. That was tough. I'm feeling a little light headed from the strain. Make me feel better by entering the confessional, er...comment section, and unload your deepest darkest secrets.

And have a good weekend, y'all.








15 comments:

www.ayewonder.com said...

Where do I start? Rick Astley, I know the song obviously but I've never heard of him. The voice doesn't suit the body. Think he's another Milli Vanilli?

We don't have Dukes in the NorthEast but I bet you don't have Cains in the South. I will send you one of mine for one of your's?

I will have to check out Ghost Hunters, I've never heard of it. The Daily Mail I know well. It was there that I first learned about the female form in 1961. (ouch)

Do you think you gave out to much info about the color pink? ;-)

By the way, my one guilty pleasure that I will admit to, "I Want you Back" by the Jackson Five is the greatest pop song of all-time.

That's my story and I am stick to it.

Anonymous said...

I think the fact that you have pink gitchies might have been a little TMI for me. Even for me - the person who's known you for over 20 years...

Jen said...

Hey it's not like I told you in detail what kind of underwear I'm sporting these days. Just the colour.

And I notice no one else is posting anything embarrassing about themselves. What's up with that? I'm feeling a little disappointed in you all.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Ok, Jen, are you ready,

1. New Kids on The Block
2. Most Haunted - Sounds very like Ghost Hunters. A team of 'paranormal investigators' visit old, dark, spooky places with a hilariously camp liverpudlian medium, who is often possessed. It's very funny.
3. Nutella Chocolate Spread - It's meant to be for kids right?
4. The Wiggles - they are amazing live.
5. Boinging on Miss E's trampoline. It's not a pretty sight so I do it when the kids are in bed. I have to hold on to my busms or it gets dangerous.

Are they embarrassing enough Miss Jen?

Susan said...

Here goes:

Kraft macaroni and cheese from a box - I prefer the gooey sauce to the powder, but when the kids would only eat powder, I ate it, too.

Country music - I am not embarrassed to say I like Emmy Lou Harris or Johnny Cash - but I like some of the sappy stuff, too. Don't know why, I just do.

Bottled spaghetti sauce - no one else in my family will eat it as they have been spoiled by homemade, but from time to time, I like to have spaghetti with Ragu - reminds me of childhood!

Guess that is only three, but that is the best I can do on a Friday afternoon.

Liking mayonaise is NOT embarrassing! Pink undies is not TMI. And, Jo, if there were Nutella in my house it would be hidded as it is definitely for grown ups, not children!

As for your 100th post...a list of 100 things or if you're not feeling well, perhaps just a "best of" like RCs 411. How are you feeling?

Anonymous said...

I knew it, I knew it, I knew you where a closet pink person. He who does protest too much. I love that you hide it under your black clothes. You naughty girl ;
Ok, I'll play.

I still listen to disco music. When no one is home I clean the house to Rick James, KC & The Sunshine Band, etc.

Green Kool-Aid is my favorite drink in the world. I've been known to drink it with vodka, or rum.

I watch Sponge Bob Square Pants. Can't help it, he makes me laugh.

I cut my peanut butter sandwichs into 4 quarters, just like my mom did when I was a kid. Oh, and it makes it easier to dunk into tomato soup.

Ice Road Truckers. I watch every Sunday night. Those guys are just plain crazy.

Anonymous said...

5 embarassing things...
(aside from my apparant inability to walk and breathe simultaneously)

ok - here goes

1) i actually have bought britney spears cds. (hanging my head in shame)

2) i, like jen, like rick astley.

3) i am terrified to the point of paranoia of tunnels and bridges - though those fears were slightly diminished whilst driving to GA to visit jen ray and tfyo.

4) my dog has more sweaters than i do. seriously.

5) i have the following in my collection of harry potter collectibles... an actual magic wand, a wand care kit, a scroll and feather quill with ink well, hagrid's hut tea-lite holder, a slytherin house sweater, a statue of u-know-who himself, Dobby the house elf, and nearly headless nick (the resident phantom of gryffindor house). all this and i have no children. i frighten myself sometimes.

Dumdad said...

Rick Astley. Oh dear Jen.

I love mayonnaise. Hellman's is my favourite brand.

I have some pink T-shirts although I prefer black.

The Daily Mail is a rag but I also read it online.

100 posts - I'm impressed. I think we started blogging at the same time and I'm only up to 83.

In the UK when a blogger writes a 100th post he or she gets a telegram from the Queen.

Jen said...

Mike I'll send you a small jar of Duke's in with your Ga. prize pack. Lucky I haven't sent it yet.

Jo *tee-hee* I knew you wouldn't let me down. I can identify with the bosoms/busms thing. It's why I don't run. And I liked the Wiggles, too, but TFYO has outgrown them. Are you a Greg, Anthony, Murray or Jeff girl?

my two cents I like Kraft mac and cheese from the box, too. In Canada, when I was a kid, we'd put ketchup on it. I think it's a Canadian thing.

auntie barbie Yes, yes, you were right, stop gloating. Peanut butter in tomato soup? Really?

jillian You should be embarrassed by number four.

dumdad As for 100 posts, I think it just means I have more time on my hands than you. And I wonder if I could sign up for that telegram? LOL

Jen said...

Oh, and I meant to say, I feel fine, but morning sickness has now kicked in, in earnest. Other than that, we're peachy.

the rotten correspondent said...

Sorry I'm so late for this, but it was a hard one for me, since I embarrass myself regularly.

I have to stick with my big one - the Bay City Rollers. It really doesn't get much worse than that.

I like the Judge Judy type court shows where people duke it out for our viewing entertainment. And I've been known to watch Jerry Springer in a very off moment.

I really like People magazine too. Sometimes that embarrasses me.

I kiss my dogs on the lips. Thatembarrasses the kids.

Am I humiliated enough now?

the rotten correspondent said...

Oh, and for your 100th post I think you need to send Georgia goodie packs to all your readers.

Works for me.

Diana said...

Way too many embarassing 'likes' but I'll just say "Hostess Products" (especially Ho-Hos) and leave it at that.

Anonymous said...

Girl I'm a huge fan of Rick. I will admit to anyone and I really dig Ghost Hunters but I stopped watching because it seemed like you never really saw any evidence and I would get all frustrated. They just run around saying, Whoa, what was that?
And pink. Geez. CLAIM IT! When I was a little kid my mother crocheted an afghan for me. The colors I chose? Pink and purple.

Congrats on the 100th post by the way.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Jen I cannot spell. I kew busms looked a bit odd.

I like Anthony. The rest are slightly scary, but fabulous too.

My Two Cents, Nutella, Mmmmm.